⚡ Welcome again to one other version of The Weekly Authority, the Android Authority e-newsletter that casts an eye fixed again throughout the highest Android and tech information from the week.
🐰 Tristan Rayner right here casting an eye fixed over all issues expertise throughout this Easter, Passover, and Holi break.
In style information this week
Credit score: Hadlee Simons / Android Authority
- A giant week for Xiaomi, with a brand new flagship, new mid-range line, new foldable, new brand (type of), and a brand new dedication to electrical autos (EVs).
- The largest announcement for the patron tech world was the Mi 11 Ultra — a top-of-the-line smartphone with virtually all the things you could possibly ask for in a 2021 ultra-premium flagship. Snapdragon 888 SoC, 6.81-inch 120Hz QHD+ OLED display screen with Dolby Imaginative and prescient, IP68 score, 67W wired and wi-fi charging, Harman Kardon-tuned audio system, and a ceramic physique. Then the cameras, housed in a mighty bump with a big-size sensor by way of the brand new 50MP Samsung GN2, which is a 1/1.12-inch sensor. Add a 48MP ultra-wide snapper and a 48MP periscope lens and you may see why it’s an “Extremely” mannequin retailing from €1,300 (~$1,526). Evaluations coming quickly.
- Xiaomi’s first foldable was additionally a notable reveal however as a China-only launch it’s a little bit underwhelming. The Mi Mix Fold, goes for the Samsung-style of a thick telephone with a 6.5-inch panel on the outside that opens out to a tablet-sized 8.01-inch OLED show. It has all of the specs you could possibly need too: Snapdragon 888 SoC, as much as 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage, 5,020mAh complete battery throughout two battery packs, and a digital camera system that includes a liquid lens with Xiaomi’s personal chip doing the picture processing work.
- Additionally: Mi 11 Professional however you’ll be able to’t get it outdoors of China, and the Mi 11i which is successfully a Redmi K40 Pro Plus with a brand new identify (beginning at €649). Add within the Mi 11 Lite vary in 4G and 5G choices, the Xiaomi Mi Band 6, and that new rounded Mi logo, too.
- Oh, and don’t overlook Xiaomi also announced a big investment in EVs, with a ~$1.5 billion preliminary funding, becoming a member of rumored and reported strikes by Apple, Huawei, and others.
- Xiaomi is clearly gunning for the premium phase — its flagship performs are not branding explorations, and what has opened the door right here is Huawei’s decline.
Google would possibly actually have a chipset?
- That is large enough for its personal bullet level. A report out of 9to5Google very strongly suggests the Google Pixel 6 and 5a might really use Google’s own silicon, codenamed ‘Whitechapel’, mannequin “GS101.”
- We’ve identified about this for a while however element that it might really come to the Pixel line, forward of Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 780 (or comparable SoCs) makes issues wildly intriguing.
- 9to5Google suggests its deeply linked to Samsung and its Exynos experience, it appears.
- Keep tuned!
- Sony set up an April 14th launch. Count on the following main Xperia gadgets together with the Xperia 1 III, Xperia 10 III, and presumably the Xperia 5 III. I’m excited to see if Sony can preserve maturing its flagship Xperia 1 collection after the II was so effectively obtained.
- LG Mobile might be gone as quickly as April 5. Unhappy. Read this Weekly for my thoughts on poor (however not really poor) LG.
- Casio unveiled its first G-Shock smartwatch with Wear OS. $700 is an enormous ask, however it’s a traditional brawny man with a titanium again for further sturdiness, water-resistance all the way down to 200 meters, always-on LCD, and sensors galore. No precise availability date, sadly.
- Hints that Samsung has a Galaxy Buds successor within the works.
- Niantic Labs CEO posted a teaser image of some AR glasses. Could possibly be enjoyable in the event that they’re really good.
- OnePlus Nord SE reportedly canceled — and this might be the gorgeous cool retail bundle the telephone would’ve are available in.
- Apple announced WWDC 2021 as a web based occasion once more (9to5Mac), whereas this week the in-person MWC 2021 lost Google. That’s the most important identify to this point, with Nokia, Ericsson, Sony, and Oracle already out (The Verge).
Credit score: Kris Carlon / Android Authority
- April 6: Intel’s “How Great Will get Carried out 2021” launch
- April 12: Nvidia GTC convention
- April 14: Sony Xperia launch
Tech Tweet of the Week
My fav April Fools’ joke::
By no means step on a LEGO brick once more! SmartBricks, coming quickly… pic.twitter.com/enRuvdGYjP
— LEGO (@LEGO_Group) April 1, 2021
All the most effective,
Tristan Rayner, Senior Editor.