At XDA, we delight ourselves on the ability of the modding neighborhood in offering decisions — decisions that accommodate the wide range of wants from completely different customers. One of many frequent merchandise of this selection is the provision of AOSP-based customized ROMs for units that run on an in any other case closely custom-made UI. The truth is, many older Android smartphones are kept alive by custom ROMs, generally years after units have been deserted by the machine maker.
Talking of customized ROMs, LineageOS could also be the preferred one on the market, however that doesn’t imply there aren’t additionally different well-liked aftermarket builds. Descendant, for instance, has carved out its personal following within the customized ROM scene. Initially distributed as a Generic System Image (GSI), the ROM has tremendously expanded and is now recognized for providing innovative features on prime of the vanilla Android expertise. For instance, among the distinctive options touted by the event workforce embrace:
- Emergency mode.
- The function, assuming it has been arrange with the wanted information, will ship over your location to chosen contacts to alert them that you just’re in peril. If the person who wants support strikes and their GPS coordinates change, one other message will probably be despatched with the newly acquired place to the chosen contacts. If the emergency will get dismissed by person interplay, one other message will probably be despatched over, speaking that the emergency situation has ceased.
- It’s accessible from the Lockscreen Minus One web page and from Settings -> Descendant Well being (for setup functions).
- Lockscreen Minus One Web page.
- It contains a clock, a climate widget, and three toggles. One among them is the Emergency Mode, the opposite one is Torch, and the final one is Do Not Disturb.
- It’s accessible from the lockscreen with a left-to-right swipe.
- Extraordinarily Safe Keyguard.
- It’s a function that stops any type of interplay over the Fast Settings Panel/Tiles/Notification when locked. Primarily, it prevents the Fast Settings from scrolling down, prevents tapping on tiles, and so on. so third events can’t toggle settings with out your consent.
- It’s accessible underneath Settings -> Safety -> Extraordinarily safe keyguard.
- UI Overhaul.
- Descendant XI gives a full-fledged UI overhaul, with loads of customized animations not seen in different customized ROMs.
- Customized ringtones.
- All made by the builders, plus this 12 months that includes licensed music from Emmanuel Nwamadi (The Voice UK participant).
- Well being
- It features a built-in COVID-19 tracker so you’ll be able to examine the stats as quickly as you open the subfragment in settings.
The developer behind the Descendant mission, XDA Senior Member Dil3mm4, has been fairly busy these previous few months. We’ve seen an enormous uptick in exercise throughout the ROM web site in addition to within the boards right here at XDA, and for good motive. It was solely January when the Descendant codebase was made open source after being rebased on prime of Android 11. Now, the developer has introduced the March 2021 launch of Descendant XI with a plethora of recent options.
Right here’s the total changelog launched by the Descendant XI’s March 2021 replace:
Descendant XI March 2021 Changelog
- UI Modifications:
- Modified Climate icon set
- Brightness bar has been rounded a bit extra on prime left/proper corners
- Sample/Pin/Password will blur when spawned
- Reworked Climate Widget UI (after tapping on the climate in QS)
- Changed Josefin Sans font with RedHat one
- Lockscreen Minus One Web page (follows up)
- Fastened up a problem with climate metrics
- QS Compact Format
- A smaller structure for QS header, might be activated from Settings -> Show -> QS Compact Format
- Extraordinarily Safe Keyguard
- This feature, accessible from Settings -> Safety -> Extraordinarily Safe Keyguard, disables all forms of interactions that may set off QS and QQS panel growth by way of gestures
- Lockscreen Minus One Web page Lock
- This feature, accessible from Settings -> Safety -> Lockscreen Minus One Web page, denies/allows the gesture to open the Lockscreen Minus One web page on a secured lockscreen
- Face Unlock now’s able to unlocking apps that want biometrics verification.
- Lockscreen Minus One Web page
- This web page is accessible from lockscreen, swiping from left to proper and dismissible swiping from proper to left or from backside to prime.
- It has three fast choices on the underside: Emergency Mode, Torch, DND
- Emergency Mode is an emergency function that may maintain your screen-on until dismissed.
- Whereas retaining your display screen on, there will probably be a number of informations on display screen:
- Blinking assist request on prime (that may change language on each blink)
- Identify and Surname
- Blood Sort
- Pre-exist medical circumstances
- It can additionally ship message(s) to the contact(s) of your selecting, together with your present place (if out there), speaking that you just need assistance.
- In case your place modifications in the meantime the emergency remains to be on-going, additional messages will probably be despatched speaking the change of your place.
- Emergency mode wants setuping.
- It’s accessible by Settings -> Descendant Well being -> Medical Infos or by the alert that pops-out when attempting to set off Emergency Mode from Lockscreen Minus One Web page.
- Beware that the emergency quantity(s) you’ll setup has/should be a cell in order that SMS might be despatched.
- Additionally please notice that it is a function in beta and doesn’t wish to substitute any medical gear.
- The torch toggle, will set off torch on and off.
- Identical for DND toggle, will set off DND mode on and off.
- QS Compact Format
Along with the above, right here’s a abstract of recent options added in Descendant XI updates over the previous few months:
Descendant XI new Options
- UI Revamp
- QS has completely modified.
- There’s a climate widget in QS and Lockscreen that’s completely impartial from Google companies. Clicking on it reveals much more info than the fundamentals.
- When UI quantity expands, it would have a barely completely different background whenever you go to completely expanded.
- Slight modifications are in Settings dashboard background too.
- Reticker has now an choice to point out the app shade because the background shade of reticker.
- Descendant well being has a brand new menu in settings, and we now have COVID tracker for the nation you might be in.
- Now you can disable web and sensors entry to each app, in Settings -> App -> APP_NAME -> Authorizations -> Community & sensor.
- New clock, it’s known as Calendar Clock, it’s within the Types app.
- There’s a brand new tile known as Stereo/Mono tile, principally whenever you click on on it, it would swap from stereo to mono and vice-versa.
- There’s one other tile known as Headphone Buddy, tldr, when headphones are linked, you’ll be able to select in order for you a balanced audio, solely on the left, solely on the appropriate.
- The gesture capsule navigation is now resizable in Settings -> System -> Gestures.
- 4 new ringtones: ABC, Becoming a member of the Membership, Mad Love, Mad Love RMX.
- Launcher recents button have been improved. there’s now clear all and kill app button.
- FOD enhancements, that at a later stage are being adopted by LineageOS itself.
- Extra localizations. The ROM is at the moment translated in Italian, Conventional Chinese language, Finnish, Hindi, Malay, Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish, Ukrainian, Turkish, Vietnamese, whereas extra are being translated via Crowdin.
Take a look at the screenshot gallery beneath to see among the key options that Descendant ROM has to supply — there’s lots!
Obtain Descendant XI (Android 11)
You may seize the Descendant XI builds for the next units from the official download portal of the project:
*March 2021 construct dropped because of technical points.
**Collectively known as “miatoll”.
Take notice that generic GSI builds are additionally out there for Challenge Treble-enabled units, which suggests you’ll be able to nonetheless get a style of Descendant XI, even when you don’t have any of the aforementioned smartphones. All of the builds have already got Google apps included, so that you don’t must flash a separate ZIP file to get the Google Play Retailer.
If you happen to’re eager about serving to the Descendant workforce with growth, then do take a look at the project’s GitHub repo. If you wish to keep up-to-date on information and new releases from the workforce, it’s best to take into account following them on our forums.