Dad and mom have been warned to speak to their kids in regards to the risks of consuming unidentified substances after two younger folks swallowed tablets discovered exterior their Belfast residence.
olice confirmed they’re investigating after the tablets, discovered on North Howard Court docket on Wednesday, had been consumed by the kids, each of whom are below eight years outdated.
The youngsters had been taken to hospital as a precaution and have since been discharged, whereas the tablets haven’t been recognized.
A spokesperson for the Belfast Belief stated whereas they might not touch upon this particular incident, they “would after all urge anybody who has digested a substance which is suspected to be doubtlessly dangerous, to hunt medical recommendation instantly”.
Michael Owen, the Public Well being Company’s lead for medicine and alcohol, stated precautions ought to at all times be taken in comparable circumstances.
“If a toddler or younger individual has swallowed an unknown substance, search medical assist urgently and immediately,” he stated.
“If they’ve any remaining substance that they have not swallowed, take away it from them and safely carry this with you to the hospital as it could assist to find out what they’ve taken.”
It’s not at all times attainable to concentrate on a toddler’s actions so dad and mom ought to talk with their kids across the risks of sure substances, Mr Owen stated.
“We won’t at all times concentrate on what our kids are doing when they don’t seem to be with us, so I might encourage all dad and mom and guardians to speak to them in regards to the risks of medication and alcohol. Do not wait till there’s a downside, discuss to them now,” he added.
“For youthful kids, maintain it easy. Inform them to not swallow something if they do not know what it’s and even when somebody that they know has given it to them, nonetheless do not take it.
“Younger folks can have a lot of questions so be sure you take time to hearken to them.”
A PSNI spokesperson stated: “Police obtained a report on Thursday of tablets being discovered within the North Howard Court docket space of north Belfast at round 5pm on Wednesday, April 21.
“It’s understood that a variety of kids might have consumed these tablets. It’s understood that they had been taken to hospital as a precaution and have since been discharged.”
The PHA has leaflets to help dad and mom of their dialogue with younger folks/youngsters about drug and alcohol misuse which may be discovered at www.pha.website/YourChildandAlcohol and www.pha.website/YourChildandDrugs