Amazon’s Fireplace and Fireplace HD tablets ship with a fork of Google’s Android working system known as Fireplace OS. For probably the most half which means they’ve a customized person interface that’s designed to spotlight Amazon apps and providers. However it additionally implies that as a substitute of the Google Play Store, they ship with the Amazon Appstore that includes a extra restricted collection of apps and video games.
However you can run most Android apps on a Fireplace pill, even when they’re not obtainable from Amazon’s storefront. A method is to install the Google Play Store. However one other is simply to allow set up of apps from unknown sources, which makes it doable to obtain and set up Android apps downloaded from locations aside from Amazon or Google’s app shops.
Earlier than we start, a word on what we imply by “unknown sources” or “unknown apps.” That is mainly Google and Amazon’s manner of referring to apps that don’t come from their very own app shops, which suggests they haven’t been vetted by the businesses in any manner.
So that you’ll need to make it possible for you belief the supply of the apps you’re putting in. There are many different locations to seek out apps from outdoors of Google Play or the Amazon Appstore, a few of which can be extra reliable than others. So proceed with warning.
One great way to do this is to obtain apps straight from the developer’s web site. For instance, you possibly can set up Epic’s widespread Fortnite online game by downloading it directly from Epic’s website. Wish to set up the open supply FBReader eBook app? You possibly can seize it from the FBReader website.
Putting in apps on this manner on cellular gadgets is sometimes called Sideloading, but it surely’s mainly the identical manner you’d set up apps downloaded from the web onto a Home windows laptop. So one other phrase for sideloading is “putting in software program.”
Enabling set up of apps from unknown sources
- The very first thing you’ll have to do is navigate to the Settings menu in your Fireplace pill.
You are able to do this two methods:
- Discover the Settings app icon on the Fireplace pill residence display (it seems to be like a gear icon) and faucet on it.
- Swipe down from the highest of the display to open the Fast Settings panel, then swipe once more to increase the panel so that you see a smaller gear icon and faucet on that. (Alternately you should utilize two fingers to swipe down as soon as from the highest of the display to open the Fast Settings panel in expanded mode).
- From the Settings display, look down till you see a piece marked Safety & Privateness and faucet on that choice.
- On the Safety & Privateness display, faucet the choice labeled Apps from Unknown Sources.
- On the following display you’ll see a listing of purposes which have entry to information downloaded to your pill in addition to a sign letting whether or not or not you possibly can set up apps from unknown sources utilizing these purposes.
For instance, within the screenshot under you’ll see Amazon’s Silk net browser in addition to Stable Explorer and Google Drive. Below every itemizing is “not allowed,” indicating that I can’t but set up apps from unknown sources utilizing these purposes.
Silk is the default net browser that comes pre-installed on all Amazon tablets. Stable Explorer and Google Drive are solely on my pill as a result of I’ve already put in Google Play and Google Play providers. However what you see on this display will differ relying on the apps put in in your pill.
Faucet the Silk browser if you’d like to have the ability to obtain Android apps from the net browser after which set up them. When you’d somewhat use a special app, you possibly can faucet that as a substitute.
- On the following display you’ll see a toggle that allows you to allow set up of “unknown apps” utilizing this program. If the slider is to left, the toggle shall be greyed out and also you’ll be unable to put in apps. Slide it to the best and it’ll change from gray to orange, indicating that you may set up unknown apps.
- That’s it. It is best to have the ability to obtain and set up apps now. However if you’d like affirmation, you possibly can return to the earlier display both by utilizing the again arrow within the Fireplace pill’s navigation bar or by clicking the < icon on the prime of the display. Now as a substitute of “not allowed,” the apps ought to say “allowed.
Now you possibly can obtain apps from sources that you just belief (or these you don’t, I suppose) and set up them in your pill.
Be aware that not all Android apps will essentially work. Apps that depend on Google Play Companies will solely run correctly when you install Google Play first. And when you attempt to set up apps designed for particular gadgets like Samsung merchandise, for instance, they might not run. I couldn’t get the Samsung Voice Recorder app to work on my Fireplace pill, for instance.
Instance: Putting in FBReader
However with a view to set up the most recent model of the open supply FBReader app for studying eBooks, all I needed to do was:
- Go to FBReader.org/Android utilizing the Silk browser on my Fireplace HD 8 pill.
- Faucet the “Newest FBReader for Android 4.1 and better” hyperlink to obtain the set up file. ]
- Faucet “OK” on the pop-up to let Silk know I actually need to obtain the file.
- Anticipate the file to complete downloading after which faucet the “Open” hyperlink.
- On the next display, faucet the “Set up” hyperlink.
- Anticipate the app to complete putting in.
- When it’s performed, it is best to see a checkmark and the message “app put in.”
Now you possibly can faucet “performed” to shut the installer dialog, select “open” to open the app you simply put in, or hit the House button to return to the house display and discover the app that manner.